Saturday, August 23, 2008

FROM IRAQ

HELLO EVERYONE!!! I hope everyone is doing well. I've been getting back into the swing of things since I've arrived back from my wonderful, yet short, trip home. This past week I've been at the JSS (Joint Security Station) in Sab Albour. The Commander (CPT Digati) took us on a 3 mile patrol through the town. It was good. We got to meet a lot of the locals. We walked around in the market. The Iraqi kids love when we come out...we give them candy. Below are some pictures from our trip into town. Just to clear up the confusion...the purpose of the patrol is to "win the hearts and minds of the local populous."

Leaving the JSS...



Iraqi Transportation


Alternate means of Transportation


Sun in my eyes


Iraqi Army hard at work


Me with the kids


Kids playing table hockey


Commander playing Ping Pong


Watch out for that bus!


Has anyone seen Shrek?


Busy streets of Sab Albour



My Platoon Sergeant standing in the middle of the busy street


Local selling block ice


Fruit Stand



The day after our patrol, one of the Sheiks (one of the local tribal leaders) decided to treat us to an authentic Iraqi dinner. So, he brought tons of food to the JSS. It was chicken and lamb over rice with dates in it...there was something else on top of the rice but it don't know what it was. I just decided to eat it and not ask questions...probably better that way. LOL!

Here's what the plate of food looked like


Waiting to eat the unfamiliar!


I'm digging in!!!


K.B. (one of our interpreters) showing me how to eat rice with my hands


Save some chicken for me

No comments: