Wednesday, September 10, 2008

From Iraq

Ok...So I promised that I would post pictures. I'm seriously trying to gather them up and organize them so I can post them. I didn't forget. So for those of you who are waiting impatiently for me to post them....I will have them soon. The reason for the delay is that I gather picture from all the guys who take pictures on our patrols because they are the ones who have pics of me. And not to mention that sometimes they capture the moments better. Just my way of trying to give you guys back home a better visual of what this place is like and what really goes on in the day of a soldier (at least a soldier in my unit).
Anyway...in my attempt to gather pictures, I now have to gather even more. There are pics of our dismounted patrol from tonight.
This month is Ramadan for the Islamic world. Ramadan is the "holy month" in which Muslims believe that God (Allah) revealed the 1st revelation of the Koran (the holy book for Muslims) to the profit Muhammad through the angel Gabriel. So, to honor the "holy month," Muslims fast between the daylight hours. About 90 minutes after sunset, a big loud speaker from the town mosque sounds out the prayer of a priest. After the prayer, everyone gathers in streets and eats tons of food. So in order to continue winning "the hearts and minds" of Iraqi's, we walked over to one of the outdoor restaurants and ate kabobs, hit the hookah, and played games with the locals.
I'll post the pics and give details of the patrol in the next few days.

1 comment:

Larry the great said...

They stay up at night gorging, then nothing by mouth all day. Makes them cranky and ill tempered.